This collection is a digitized copy of the book Architecture
—Practical and Theoretical by the Beezer Brothers (1894). The Beezer brothers (Louis and Michael J.) were famous more architects who originally set up their firm in Altoona, PA where they built many homes, but then moved on to Pittsburgh and eventually Seattle, WA. less
The Buhl Foundation Photographs collection contain photographs of Chatham Village, the Buhl Foundation’s $2 million housing development located in Pittsburgh’s Mt. Washington neighborhood. The photographs, dating more from 1929 to 1950, include images of Chatham Village’s construction, the interiors and exteriors of homes, Chatham Hall (the community center), recreational areas, and the development’s residents. less
In the Johnstown neighborhood of Cambria City are located five historical, ethnic churches. In 2009, the Altoona/Johnstown Diocese closed four of the churches and renamed the more fifth church. Each of these churches has celebrated a centennial and one has celebrated a quasquicentennial. Before the churches were de-sanctified, each one was photo-documented and a description developed to explain the location and history of realia contained in the church. In addition, print materials were digitized related to each church (e.g. church newsletters, event flyers, bulletins.) The ethnicities of the churches were German, Slovak, Irish, Polish/Hungarian, and Croatian. less
This collection contains postcards from the early 20th century of Johnstown, Pennsylvania area landmarks.
The Church of the Brethren Photograph Collection consists of more than 500 mostly black and white photographs of meeting houses and churches in eastern Pennsylvania, historic more sites, gravestones, portraits and nursing homes associated with the Church. The photographs date from the 1890's to the present. A subset of the collection includes images from 200 glass-plate negatives dating from 1890 to 1915. These photographs were taken by J.G. Francis, a leader in the founding of Elizabethtown College and a minister of the Church of the Brethren in eastern Pennsylvania. less
This collection consists of documentation related to the Philadelphia Flower Show from 1829 to the present including tickets, advertisements, posters and high-quality photographs to exhibits and more promotional events. Some of the images include buildings that no longer exist, such as Philadelphia's Commercial Museum and Civic Center. less
This is a collection of posters of varying size, color and medium pertaining to the U.S. and Pennsylvania from before the start of the Civil War more Period to the present. Subjects include business advertising, public announcements, broadsides, political cartoons, campaign posters, World War II, world travel, and civic duties. Manufactured for many different businesses, institutions, and government agencies, the artwork is by famous, obscure, and unknown commercial illustrators. less
This collection is of World War I era posters of varying size, color and medium pertaining to the U.S. and Pennsylvania. The posters are manufactured for more many different businesses, institutions, and government agencies, and the artwork is by famous, obscure and unknown commercial illustrators. Those printed by various federal agencies were intended to generate patriotic fervor in Americans. less
This collection contains miscellany from various exhibitions and expositions of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century in Pennsylvania.
The Builder is an architectural publication that was published in Pittsburgh from 1901 to 1919. Its subtitle is: "Devoted to Architecture". The Builder is a highly more unique resource that provides an in-depth look at the design and construction of residential and commercial spaces in Pittsburgh during the era that Pittsburgh's industrial, commercial and civic life thrived. The contents in the Builder includes both the artistic & architectural overview of individual buildings and neighborhood developments, as well as the artisan and skilled trade resources used by designers, architects and builders during this period. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh gratefully acknowledges the loan of several volumes of The Builder for this project by the University of Notre Dame. less