This collection contains photos documenting the history of Central Pennsylvania and the surrounding region.
Winona Garbrick was one of the most prolific teachers in Bedford High School history. Her legacy includes National Bestselling Author Dean Koontz, who wrote a personalized more letter about Ms. Garbrick for the Winona Garbrick Reading Room in the Bedford Public Library. This collection contains materials donated by her family including family photos, location photos from the early 1900s in Bedford County, letters and drawings from various correspondences throughout her life, and documentation from the time she was in the Army during World War II through her teaching career. less
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, was originally formed as a town in 1800. The city has experienced three major floods throughout its history and later became the site of more the Cambria Iron Company. In the 1860s, the Cambria Iron Company was the leading steel and iron producer in the United States outproducing larger steel and iron companies in bigger cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland. This collection contains a corpus of books that highlight the historical significance of Johnstown. less
This collection contains postcards from the early 20th century of Johnstown, Pennsylvania area landmarks.
This collection contains photographs of Northern Chester County in the first decades of the 1900's.
This collection contains images of limited edition, hand-printed linocut holiday cards that were made by folk artist Mary Hamilton who lived and worked throughout her career more in Clarion County, was well-known in the area, and made many contributions to the culture in Western Pennsylvania. She made these holiday cards annually for over 20 years and sent them to close personal friends. Dr. Charles Marlin, a friend of the artist and recipient of the cards, donated the original cards that show the evolution of Mary Hamilton's work. less
This collection contains images of photographs, letters, and other memorabilia and resources contributed by the community documenting the impact of World https://digitalarchives.powerlibrary.org/papd/islandora/object/papd%3Apclfl-wwiWar I on Clarion County, more Pennsylvania. less
This collection contains historic documents about the James V. Brown Library of Williamsport, PA, including Annual Reports and minutes from Board of Trustee meetings.
This is a collection of documents, photographs, and monographs relating to the history of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Founded in 1761 by Frederick Stump, Fredericksburg (formerly Stumpstown) is situated in northern Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. Formerly a predominantly rural, farming community with a substantial German more heritage, the town has become increasingly diverse and suburban due to its proximity to Fort Indiantown Gap and New York City. Historically the home of up to seven churches, numerous main street businesses, and Schuylkill Seminary/College (1886-1902), Bell & Evans, the poultry raising and processing giant headquartered in Fredericksburg, is now the town's main employer as it continues expansion of its operations. This collection contains vintage postcards and photographs depicting various local street scenes and local organizations, including local businesses and the local baseball team. Images chronicle Fredericksburg localities, businesses, and citizens ranging from the late-nineteenth century to mid-twentieth century. less
This collection contains yearbooks from New Castle High School, located in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, from 1913-2012. Ne-Ca-Hi was published from 1913-1961, and Pergodian has been published more from 1962-present. less
This collection features items collected from the public that focus on the immigrant and ethnic heritage of Cambria County.
In 1900, there were 34 sanatoriums in the United States. By 1925 there were 536. The Cresson Sanatorium was one of the earlier sanatoriums and provides more a record of life at an institution at a time of heightened health concerns and spread of tuberculosis. The Cresson Sanatorium was located in the mountain near the present-day town of Cresson in Cambria County. The "San" as it was known, was in existence from 1913 and 1964 and treated people diagnosed with tuberculosis. Some patients stayed or years, while others who died there were never reclaimed by their families and are interred in a nearby hillside. The items in this collection have been gathered from persons who were patients at the San or who had relatives who were patients there. Most materials were gathered at part of a centennial commemoration of the Cresson Sanatorium. less
This collection contains photographs of people and places in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
The Carnival was a weeklong fundraiser event of the First Presbyterian Church of Warren, PA, featuring internationally and hobby themed booths, meals, and a daily publication. more It was held from September 23-29th, 1899 to help with debt resulting from a new building which had been built to facilitate recent church growth. The special edition souvenir newspaper was titled, The Carnival, and was published by members of the Ladies Aid Society, who also coordinated the Carnival event. less