Welcome to POWER Academy
Need POWER Library training? We got you!
POWER Academy is a one-stop place to find a variety of professional development opportunities from self-paced trainings to recorded webinars on all things POWER Library.
- Complete on YOUR time
- Earn continuing education (CE) credits
- Content covering all staffing levels and library types
- Short and concise trainings on a variety of topics
POWER Academy FAQ’s
POWER Academy is hosted through the PA Staff Academy. You can also access the POWER Academy from the main For Librarians page via the POWER Academy link on the right side bar.
Please note: To complete a training, you must have a Niche account. Staff without a public library specific domain (most school and academic libraries, Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo etc.), will be asked to email the administrator for access. Those requests should go to RA-EDTraining@pa.gov. Be sure to send the request from the email you will be using for your Niche account and use subject “PA Staff Academy Access”.
Once in PA Library Staff Academy, locate the POWER Academy category (all the way at the bottom) and find a tutorial that interests you. All tutorials are grouped by POWER Library service type and include:
PA Photos and Documents
Chat with a Librarian
POWER Library Basics
Topics range from:
- Access Pennsylvania/SHARE it training for ILL staff
- Chat with a Librarian/LibAnswers participant training
- PA Photos and Documents/Islandora participant training
- Recordings of past POWER Library webinars
- E-Resources training topics like:
- Authentication how-to by library type
- Primary Sources in POWER Library
- Career and Job Resources in POWER Library
- E-Resources for Frontline Staff
- Short and concise tutorials on individual e-resources
- New tutorials added monthly!
Continuing education credits and Act 48 are earned in 15-minute increments through POWER Academy and the amount earned will depend on the length of the tutorial. To receive your CE credits, simply view the tutorial and complete a short quiz. Upon completion, a customized continuing education certificate PDF will be available for download. You may submit these certificates to your library administration for credit per your institution’s policies.
Need to apply for Act 48? After completing your POWER Academy tutorial, download the continuing education certificate and click on Request Act 48 Credit for POWER Academy Training on the POWER Academy page within For Librarians. Complete the Act 48 form provided. Remember to supply your PPID number, provide the name(s) of the POWER Academy tutorial completed, and upload you POWER Academy CE certificate(s). We will submit the Act 48 requests once per month, and typically take 8-10 weeks to appear in the Professional Education Record Management System.